Monday, August 27, 2007

Plate Tectonics: Love Lost and Found

Well, the last rap was too high brow for my kids, so I decided to write something else that would be more at their level. But, what, exactly, is on the minds of 6th graders?

According to one note: "Hey, let's both get bathroom passes, then hang out till we meet some hot girls and ask them out."


Yep. Sounds about right.


Anyhow, since love seems to be the topic at hand, what better way to describe the movement of plate tectonics? Converging plates? Diverging plates? Laterally moving plates? Sounds JUST like young relationships to ME!

Now, to find the voice of an 11 year old..... Thinking insipid... thinking... horrible rhyming schemes.... GOT IT!


She:

Converging we come together
Earth is changing course forever
Mountains forming and I wonder
If this is love, then I hope it never

Fades from sight like silken rainbows
I see him, boom, boom my heart goes
A tingle sent straight down to my toes
Friends are all raising their eyebrows

So, throw me down to a volcano
Pele waits for me far below
Converging, always with me in tow
We’ll be together always I know.

He:

Ever since the day we met I’m
Breaking out into a cold sweat
Never having a peaceful moment
Always together, she’s never silent.

Love, love, love, its all that I hear
Sweet nothings whispered in my ear
Can’t wait to get her out of here
Go out with my boys when it’s clear

Let me divulge the divergent
Thoughts that I think and sentiment
Like the sea floor spreading sediment
She’s gotta go this very moment.

They:

Earthquake sliding them apart
Two different minds, one broken heart
What was so sweet is now so tart
A painted over piece of art

They see each other from a distance
She wonders if he ever misses
Her, he doesn’t need a missus
‘Fore he gets his driver’s license

Walk quickly avoiding glances
Always on these lateral dances
New girl on his arm, and she prances
On and on, so many new romances.


We'll try it out tomorrow.

No comments: