Thursday, October 02, 2008

Temperature Rising

After school, I'm in my room grading papers. Kids in various sports stream in and out so I can sign slips saying they aren't failing my class.

William walks in.
"Daaaaaamn, Miss J. Why's it so hot in here?"

I don't even look up from my papers. Before I can think, I hear my voice, matter-of-factly say:
"Clearly.... because I'm in here."

A pause, and a trickle of laughter erupts from William's lips. Two seconds later, Edgar walks in.

"Why's it so hot in here?"
Again, I cannot resist. The monotonic drone repeats.
"Obviously.... because I'm in here."

I look at William, and before Edgar can even react, we both explode with laughter.
Edgar laughs and shakes his head. Both boys leave, I go back to my papers, little smirk on my face, hoping another kid will come in and ask the same stupid question.

This is just never going to get old.

No comments: