Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Old Students Heal Me

Student: How was your day?
Me: I have demons in my homeroom.
Student: Ooh, you can handle it. You had worse. I know you can control them. You're Miss J so there is nothing to worry about. They dont know that they got the best teacher i've ever had. i know those kids don't really care about school. honestly i wished i could go back in time and not do any of the mistakes i made cuz i feel like i messed up at the beginning.
Me: Its not too late to fix anything. I have a lot of faith in and hope for you. You could be a good role model for the next generation and inspire/motivate them.
Student: Thank you. that really motivates me. im going to study starting tonight bcuz i want to make you proud so you wont have to worry about me. :D Also, could you put [my girlfriend] at the front of the room and pick on her and have fun with her? Always keep her on her feet, make sure she doesn't fall behind cuz she's really smart n she says she hates science but your science is diff'rent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Girl to sister and her evil friend: You have Miss J for homeroom?! She's the BEST TEACHER EVER.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Panerio: Miss J, I'm going to wear my old school uniform and hop the fence so I can make sure the new kids are good to you on the first day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jacky, Anay and her family, Jerry (the a-salted one-- did I tell that story?), Vianey, Yesenia, Panerio, and a couple others all came to see me today during open house.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:
I have to type and remember these things or the negative swirling doom that I'm feeling every second might overwhelm me. We are so quick to worry, and so quick to forget that we make a difference, and that the kids we care so much about care about us right back. I am worried that I might have inadvertently taken on too much this year. I am worried (like I worry every year) that my kids won't get me, that we won't click, and that I won't have any fun with them. I am worried that I'll try so hard to make my co-workers successful and my kids happy and knowledgeable that I'll lose myself in the process. This is why I need to remember the good-- like the snippets above. And the extra good-- like the snippet below. It takes a community to teach a kid, and it also takes one to pick up the tired teacher.

No comments: