Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Invasive J

Today, I had them look at two phrases and jot down anything and everything that came to mind. The two phrases:

Alien Invasion.
Illegal Alien.

They had three minutes to work with their tables, laugh and share (all of them were terrified to write "Mexicans" under illegal alien which made me laugh-- Mexicans worried being racist TO Mexicans is somehow hilarious). Then, I took their suggestions at the board. World domination. Adaptations, senses or skills we don't have. They look harmless but aren't. They shouldn't be here. Foreigners. Immigration. Dangerous. Destruction. Using all our resources and leaving....

As we are going over this, and I'm reiterating points, I see that one of my girls is collapsing into a heap of giggles. Her notebook is over her face and she's shuddering. I ask her what the joke is. She just points to the girl next to her.

"What?" Marissa just says. "All I said was, I didn't think it was cool that PEOPLE had to have papers but ANIMALS don't have papers. And they can cause all KINDS of trouble."

"Funny you say that Marissa.... because that's JUST where I'm going."
Dawning look. "Have.... have you been getting at invasive species this whole time without us knowing it?"

I grin.
"Damn, Miss J. You are sneaky." Indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious !
M