Thursday, January 27, 2011

:(

I never crab about administration, other teachers, advisers and so on-- I think it's cowardly and lacks class. Fixating on the negative usually only makes you more negative, and I don't want to be That Guy--especially when there are people (like the reading AA, for example) who give us lots of awesome, quick strategies to use in the class. Or the technology teacher who is always trying to integrate our content into hers.

But I will say this-- I am not happy.

This job is exhausting. We're all exhausted. Every single one of us, from district level down, mostly likely has so much work to do that, well.... we can't do ANYTHING well. And now with talk of more budget cutbacks, the problem worsens. As one teacher said to me-- the district cuts back, but we never can. We get the opposite-- as they cut back, we get more work to do, not less. And not exactly for fair compensation either. So then you end up with a huge group of people who are overworked and underpaid, all with impossibly high expectations on their heads, surrounded by a whirlwind of negative, catty people.


Someone asked me the other day how I've managed to make it here for five whole years already... These days, I'm not sure.

Grad school plays a role in how burnt out I'm feeling, as does the time of year (I always want to quit around the beginning of February....) but never before have I felt so under appreciated and downright depressed.

No comments: