Monday, April 03, 2006

Lightening Bolts and Broken Wings

Today, it finally happened.

One of my students hates me.

The drama started yesterday afternoon. Being the slave driver that I am, I asked her to "please sit down," which, granted, is a pretty awful thing to ask of a student. It's right up there with "You! Serf! Dig me a new latrine!" and, say, expecting homework in on time.
Well, Miss Thang didn't want to go back to her seat. What she wanted to do was continue to flirt with Darren (you know, the 'twin' of Trae?). I asked her again, calmy but sternly, and then turned and walked away.

From the corner of the room, I hear her say the following words:

"Well, it doesn't matter what she says. I had my brother follow her home, so I know where she lives."

....excuse me?

Now, this student is a new student. She had a history of violence and less-than-appealing grades from her other school. But, since she's been here, she's been doing well. She participates and everything. But... I didn't know much about her family. For all I knew, she COULD have had some strapping John Henry as a brother. And I don't live in the nicest of neighborhoods. The squirrels in my attic aren't going to offer much protection, so if her words were true.... I could be in trouble .

Immediately, I didn't do anything, which could have been a mistake. But, there were twenty-some other 6th graders swarming me, asking questions and attempting to flirt (see examples below). It wasn't until I was driving home, that her comment really hit me. So, naturally, I started checking my rearview mirror every 2 seconds. Which does a lot of good, but only if you're trying to get into an accident.

I contacted my cooperating teacher and university supervisor (both truly excellent ladies), and met with the principal early this morning. He told me that I should write her up, and that he'd deal with it. I sighed heavily, not wanting to write her up... but, she can't go making threats like this, and I shouldn't have to feel intimidated by a 12 year old.

The principal, being a gem, didn't call her down to the office until the end of the day (so I wouldn't have to put up with a p-oed girl all day long). But... there was still class time left when she got back. And when she got back... it was like a volcanic eruption. She tore her demerit slip to bits, and when I asked her for her homework score, refused to give it to me. Instead, she sat there, fuming and mumbling under her breath.

Ohhhh dear.

My cooperating teacher came back into the room, and pulled her out. According to my little miss, everybody hates me, nobody likes me and, well, I guess I should go eat worms. Also, she wasn't going to listen to anything she had to say, because I was clearly out to get her (right, because I don't have better things to do with my time than plotting to ruin the lives of adolescents), and that she wasn't going to do talk to me, or participate or anything. I was, basically, a bitch and a half and that was it. She wasn't sayin' nothing to me.

So, my cooperating teacher said "You know what? Keeping your mouth shut is probably the best thing you can do. That's what got you into this. But you have to do what she says. If she says line up, you line up. If she asks for your homework, you give it to her. You can keep your mouth shut, and she won't call on you, but you don't have a choice in doing what she says."

So.... that's that. She came back into the room, sending glares at me like bolts of lightening. Damn. And I thought I had a Look. She's got it DOWN. It shot right through me and nearly singed my eyebrows.

*sigh*

Joking aside, her hatred really bothers me. I really don't care if all of my students don't simply adore me. But to be disliked with that sort of passion? It makes me sad. But I suppose it is easier to pass the blame than to take responsibility. I didn't do anything to her, but for now, I am the scapegoat for her anger. I've just got to be calm and keep on truckin'. What else can I do?

P.s. Turns out she doesn't have an older brother! Whew!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Examples of Flirtation??

"Miss J? My wing is broken."
"Your wing is broken?"
"Yeah, see? (flaps arm) Broken. I was flying and Jeremy ran into me. He busted it. Now I can't fly no more."
"Any more."
"That's what I said."
"Maybe you should see the animal doctor."
"I did. The doctor was out. Nurse told me to take an aspirin and come back later."
"Guess you should do that then."
(boy walks away)

"Miss J!" (harsh whisper from girl) "Miss J, he was totally flirting with you!"
(Me, wide eyed, incredulous) "Nuh uh! He's just being silly. You're all silly. That was NOT flirting."
"Uhhhh yeah, yeah it was Miss J. He totally was."
"Oh. Well." Who knew?


Boy #2 "Hey, Miss J! Guess what?"
"What?"
"I'm a ballerina."
"You don't say."
"See, watch." (boy does worst pirouette I've ever seen)
"Wow. That was just awful."
"Yeah, that's the good thing about being my kind of ballerina. You don't have to be graceful."
"Excellent. That's my kind of ballerina too."
"Right on, Miss J. Yeah." (gives me thumbs up)

Boy #3, wearing ridiculous hair clip on top of his head
"Is that my hair clip?"
"Oh? This? Is this yours Miss J?"
"Yeah, I'm going to have to confiscate that."
"But.... you don't want it. See? Its got my hair gel all over it. Can I keep it?"
"Uhhhhh lemme think....... No!"
"Awwwww." (hands it over)
(okay, so that one probably was flirting)

Here's the problem. I don't know when they're flirting, and because of that... I don't know how NOT to egg them on!

No comments: