Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Nicest Thing

Yesterday, we had a short meeting after school. The principal talked about yet ANOTHER teacher who isn't coming back for the remainder of the year, then turned to celebrate our rookie and teacher of the year--both of which were elementary school teachers. We all clapped, went home.

This morning, as I walked up to my door, I saw Mr. Ag holding my door shut. I gave him a pretty inquisitive look and he let me in. "....Surprise!" The social studies teacher said. There, standing in the dark, were the 7th grade science teacher Ms. G, 7/8th grade math teacher Ms. H, Mr. Ag and Mr. K. With balloons. And a card. And roses.

I just stared at them in my typical pre-9am zombie state.

"What.....is this all about?"

"You should have been teacher of the year," Mr. K said.
"There should really be two-- they don't know what we deal with up here," Ms. G said.
"You deserve it."

I just about burst into tears and didn't know what to say. I gave them a hug and then shooed them all out in my grateful awkwardness.

The card, sitting on my desk said:

From All of Us
Sometimes your day is awesome
and turns out exactly right,
Sometimes no matter what you do,
it's like an uphill fight.
But whether days are up or down,
or who knows what direction,
We're always in your corner like
a little cheering section.


Then, little notes--

I love you! You were the best mentor teacher that I could ever ask for and you are an awesome friend. Can't wait until you are done with school so we can just relax together!
--Ms. G


I think that out of everybody here, you were one of the main people that were my support. Thank you! You are the teacher of the year! -- Ms. H

You're an amazing teacher! You've helped me out so much this year; we're all going to miss you! -- Mr. K

You are the teacher of the year many times over. Your kids are incredibly lucky to have you, and you're going to do amazing things next year. -- Mr. Ag


I sat there, in the dark, and just stared at the goodness, fought tears, and then scampered down to my faux sister, Ms. R's room to tell her.

Isn't that the nicest thing? It has been a while since I've had happy tears.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't even know you, but this brought me to tears. I plan on being a teacher to inner city high school students, and I have always said that the best gift I could get would be to have even just one student who appreciated and learned as much from me as I learned from my music teacher. You are very lucky and obviously a great teacher!! keep up the good work, there are few teachers that try to touch the lives of their students.