Thursday, May 04, 2006

(Field) Trippin'



When you're a kid, there's nothing better than a field trip. If you've got to get up early and learn, you might as well go somewhere fun to do it! It's a day full of junk food and unnecessary flirting. Kids who are never at school show up for field trips. Kids who are never on time are there before anyone else. Kids who don't turn in signed papers under threat of death bring back their permission slips in record time. Field trips really bring out the best in some people. For the rest, it brings out the idiot.

Field trips are big fun. Unless you're not a kid. I'm not a kid. A fact I had forgotten. 60 6th graders parading around a tomb, and tromping through the museums is no delight when you're the one responsible for all of them. It's a little like trying to get a bunch of ants to walk in a straight line. Oh god, no, go this way. I have some sugar if you'll follow me nicely!! Damn it! Why aren't they following?



Highlights:
1. At one museum, there was a display of how rivers form. All of my kids ran to it going "Miss J! Look! It's a meander! It's a meandering river, look!" They then begged me to take their pictures by it. The other teacher's kids just looked at them like they were nuts. Jealousy, that's all it was...

2. One of my students created a squashed penny (of a wooly mammoth) for me. Aww yeah. Nothin' like spending 51 cents to legally destroy currency!

3. One delightful young lad pushed the emergency button on the escalator, causing it to stop abruptly, and another was messing with the emergency door on the bus while still in motion.... but other than that, no other Episodes of Idiocy.

4. In another museum, there was a historical dress up area. Did I let my kids cross-dress? Why yes, yes I did. Did I dress up and let them take my picture as well? You betcha. Did we get kicked out? Nope! Miracles DO happen.

All in all, a good day.

No comments: