Wednesday, May 10, 2006

My Menagerie



When people find out you're going to be a teacher, they buy you the most ridiculous (read: awesome!) things ever. Now, I already kind of have a love affair with school supplies, but this... this is like heaven.

In the last week, I've gotten some truly hilarious (and practical! Really!) items. My favorites:

Item #1: A bright blue, translucent elephant with suction cups on its feet. As if this wasn't cool enough (Come on. Who doesn't want a bright blue elephant to call their very own?), the elephant serves as both a paper shredder and a pencil sharpener! Ha! Genius.

Of course, you've got to stick the pencil in the elephant's forhead to sharpen it... which is a little weird. I feel like I'm stabbing him. It might have been a better idea to have his trunk curled up, so you could put the pencil in his mouth. Then it'd be more like eating.... or tonsil stabbing. I don't know. Anyhow, thanks to my dear friend Heather for this gift. She's fantastic.


Item #2: A fist-sized ladybug stapler, given to me by my phenomenal cooperating teacher. Where do people find these things? I'm a little afraid to bring this into my classroom, because some little punk might steal it. It's just so cool. On the other hand, the thing weights a metric ton, so if I might just keep it in my purse and use it to hit muggers. Always nice when your staplers have dual lives, don't you think?

By the time I start teaching I should have a whole menagerie of animal items that serve purposes other than looking adorable. I'm excited to build my zoo. Thank you so much for those who have contributed! :)

1 comment:

HeatherIhn said...

Ok Missy, it's been too long! Where's my daily blog!!! :) Hope you are doing ok!!!