Thursday, March 30, 2006

45, the new 95

Today in health class, we were talking about why young people drink, how people change when they're drunk, and the bad things that can happen if you're not being a responsible adult.

Most of my students had insightful answers -- some had experienced violent stepfathers, others, drunken sisters who threw up all over themselves. And then, one of my students shared this gem:

"One time, my uncle got drunk and passed out on the couch. The next morning we found him, totally naked, on the front porch."

And another student shared this one:

"My dad got drunk one time, and woke up in the middle of the night. He was confused so he peed all over our T.V."

I said, "I'm sure your dad would be delighted if he knew you told this story."
"It doesn't matter," he replied. "He's 45."

And there you have it, folks. 45, the new 95.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shannon's Gramma's 95.. but probably not anymore. WtP